Moving, even when for joyful reasons, can be very difficult on kids- especially if they are of school age, with friends, favorite teachers, and class activities.
Making your Pacific Northwest relocation with children smooth can be essential to helping the entire family settle quickly.
Though the move may be hard for your family in general, the part most parents dread is the drive to your new home. Unless you are staying in the same city, or an area close by, you will probably end up with more than a few hours of driving to reach your new home and city. And the whole time you might have a grumpy child in the backseat.
Pacific Northwest Relocation Tips
What are parents to do? Never fear, I have a few tricks I have learned over the years as an expert Pacific Northwest real estate agent:
- Brush up on your traditional car games. Even the alphabet game and licence plate game can be modified for younger children. Travel size board games, like battle ship, can be fantastic ways to pass the time.
- Have a basket of entertainment at easy reach. For younger children, keep the basket full of their favorite toys, books, and snacks. Hand out one item at a time, so younger children will get some good entertainment out of each one before they get bored. For older children, perhaps take them to a books store to buy a book they would enjoy reading, let them pick out an age appropriate magazine. Highlights, Zoo Books and American Girl are great for the tween years.
- Have snacks on hand. Even the grumpiest child will cheer up when given his favorite snacks. If the move is particularly hard on your child, perhaps splurge and get some items he or she has always wanted -like those double stuff Oreos-but you never deemed as appropriate lunch food.
- Get the addresses of all your children’s best friends and let your children pick out their own stationary so they can write their friends about the trip to your new home. If your children are upset about losing friends, this can be a great opportunity to help them work on writing skills. There are lots of great car travel trays you can find at Walmart, Target and other such stores, that will provide a great flat surface for your children to write on. This also provides a great way for your children to realize they can still stay in touch with their friends. Even if you children are older and in the texting/twitter/facebook way of communicating with all their friends, they may still enjoy the novelty of writing a letter to pass the time.
- If your drive will be more than 6-8 hours, it might be a good idea to invest in a portable DVD play for the car. As much as I, myself, dislike entertaining children with the TV for hours at a time, on a very long drive, a short movie or cartoon might be just the trick to help ease squirmy passengers and give you parents some downtime from entertaining.
Pacific Northwest Relocation Specialists
Would you like to learn more tips for relocating to our area or find the Pacific Northwest area information you need? Feel free to contact me, Susan Stecher, your Pacific Northwest expert Realtor. Be sure read up on our home buying tips, they will help you have a smooth real estate journey.
You can also find all the local things to do, learn about Whatcomb County, Skagit County , or the Bellingham real estate area and search Pacific Northwest homes for sale. Need more? Don’t worry, I have the answers-and if I don’t, I will find them for you.
Until next time,