Pacific Northwest Homeowners and Contractor Certification

3474752710_a9d8ae1c88Renovating an older Pacific Northwest home? Here’s some information you need to know!

If you’re renovating your Pacific Northwest home and it was built before 1978, make sure your contractor is certified to perform renovations that might involve disturbing lead-based paint!

Federal law has long required that individuals receive certain information before renovating more that six square feet of painted surfaces in a room for interior projects (or more than 20 square feet of painted surfaces for exterior projects in housing, child care facilities and schools built before 1978 (at which point lead-based paint was banned for residential use because of its severely detrimental health effects for both children and adults).

Renovators are required to give a “Renovate Right” brochure to homeowners, tenants, staff and families affected by these renovations.

Beginning next month (April 2010), new federal law requires contractors who disturb lead-based paint in homes, child-care facilities and schools built before 1978 to be certified and follow specific work standards to prevent lead contamination.

Protect your family — ask to see certification before renovations begin on your Pacific Northwest home!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *